Tuesday, July 17, 2007

C Is For Cookie

Growing up, my mom and I made a great team when it came to baking cookies. I only enjoyed making the cookie dough because it was fun to mix ingredients, and sneak a bite of the yummy dough. I didn't like to bake the cookies because it always took to long to finish all the cookies. I wanted instant gratification. My mom on the other hand didn't mind splitting the duties as she liked to bake because it allowed her to do other things at the same time. Although it would frustrate her when she would have a tray of cookies on the counter waiting to go in the oven when just as she was ready to put the tray in, she would notice that there were a few balls of dough missing because my brother and I would have stealthily stolen them. =)

Well eventually every child must leave the comfort of their parents nest and start a nest of their own. So the mother and daughter baking team was broken up. For the last 5 years my mom and I have had the hardest time with our cookies. They never turn out right. My dough is always greasy and the cookies come out of the oven flat. I have tried a number of different things. I even took all my ingredients and cookie sheets over to my mom's to have her help me figure out what I was doing wrong. We came to the conclusion that it was because I was not mixing the dry ingredients separately, but instead everything all together. (I don't remember having to do that when I was younger.) So back home I went feeling like my next batch would turn out just fine. It didn't. So then I thought maybe it was my oven. But I have used a number of ovens because of the various moves we have done and the cookies still weren't turning out right. I have gone over and over the recipe with my mom and I'm using the right amount of ingredients. After discussing with my mom some more, I thought maybe I was because I was using the wrong kind of flour and for 1 batch of cookies I was fooled into thinking that was it. But the next batch went back to being greasy flat cookies. (Meanwhile, Jonathan doesn't mind one bit. He will still eat the cookies no mater what.) Today I decided to try again. This time I added a cup more flour than the recipe calls for and presto, cookies back to normal.

Dough not greasy +


Fluffy cookies =

Yummy soft goodness in my tummy.

So mom, add more flour and see if that helps you. And mom, I do miss our team effort.

No comments: